CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Iguana update...

Since so many of you have commented on our recent little iguana incident, I thought I would give you an update. This is my understanding, at least to the best of my ability, of the story.

Several days after Margarita had taken home the captured iguana, she came to work and I asked her how the iguana soup had come out. She sadly shook her head and told me there wasn’t any soup. When I questioned her as to why there wasn’t any soup, she told me that the day she took the iguana home (after going to the market to do some shopping, with the still-alive iguana safely encased in string, tape, newspaper and plastic), her son Freddy wanted to see it.

Margarita was very serious as she began telling me about the loss of the iguana, her facial expressions very animated and with lots of hand gestures. (I love how the Nicaraguans talk!) Seems as though Margarita gave little Freddy the bag and told him to take it outside and he could look at it there. Apparently, Freddy took the iguana out of the bag, unwrapped it and either the tape had come off its mouth or else Freddy took it off…either way, the iguana’s mouth was no longer contained. It apparently tried to take a bite out of Freddy or he feared it was going to…either way, he was so startled he dropped it. That’s when the still-hobbled iguana
made a break for it.

At this point, I couldn’t help but start laughing and the more Margarita described the scene, the harder I laughed. She then got tickled and joined in and the two of us cackled until we cried! She demonstrated how the iguana’s legs were still tied together as it quickly ran away almost on its tip-toes. At that point, I howled! Just the picture I conjured up in my mind would have rivaled any Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote cartoon ever shown!

She told me they looked everywhere for the runaway but could not find him. She said they searched all the trees but to no avail. I asked her if the dogs tried tracking him and she said they had their noses to the ground but he had run around so much that the dogs just went in circles.
We continued to giggle about the escape-artist iguana most of the morning.

I would imagine that the emotional state of said iguana remains pretty fragile to date. I would also imagine that if he is still even in the country, he is keeping a pretty low profile! I think he probably has the same hope that I do and that is that our paths will never cross again…and if they do, you can bet I’ll let you know!

No comments: