CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Happy 4th Anniversary to us...

Happy 4th Anniversary to us!   This is an expanded version of the Facebook post.
It was April 29th, 2008 that we placed our feet on Nica soil committed to go wherever and do whatever the Lord would have for us.  We imagined giving our obedient "yes-es" would be so much easier than it sometimes has been.  We romanticized about the "sacrifices" we would be making.  We had no idea what those "sacrifices" would cost us until it came payment time.  We are not foolish enough to think there won't be more.  We were infants on the mission field where maturing is a necessity or returning home is compulsory.  
Four years ago, we were so idealistic...today we are much more realistic. But ironically, the vision remains the same. Share the gospel with those who have not heard it, explain it to those who do not understand it and then live it out before those who have not seen it.  Having the vision was simple...working toward its realization has been a little more difficult.  
Opposition has come in forms and from those whom we would never have imagined.  The language of those who profess to follow Christ should speak the language of prayers and encouragement...sometimes, though, we have heard white-washed whispers and words of discouragement, condemnation, accusation or empty promises...and what may have been even worse...not heard words at all.  Those were some tough days...days of feeling forgotten or days filled with doubts.  Thankfully, there have not been many of them.  God has been so very faithful to never have allowed us to sink too deeply in the life-sucking mire of self-pity!  He has blessed each of us with a spouse who doesn't tolerate that well in the other one!  Jim is much gentler with his admonition than I am...I'm still trying to figure out how to make "Snap out of it!" sound spiritual!  :)
We have learned much about the value of making and maintaining healthy relationships...with others, with each other and with the Lord.  Living without hiding behind all the distractions that the Land of Plenty offers can be quite disconcerting before it becomes liberating.  Our DNA of instant gratification and USA expectations runs deep and it has been at times, a stretch of either our adaptability or clarification genes to make the proper distinction between cultural differences, personal preferences and Kingdom expectations.   
We have maneuvered the landmine of car repairs and less-than-legit mechanics (still not out of that loaded field!).  We have learned some of the finer intricacies of shopping at the local markets.  We have welcomed friends and family with tears of joy and saw them off again with even more hot tears than I would care to admit.  We have opened our home to near-strangers and experienced both great guests and not-so-great guests.  We have had our eyes painfully pried opened to and our hearts sadly pricked by the hurtful behaviors of others who also call themselves missionaries.  We have had to seek the forgiveness of God and the forgiveness of others for our own offenses.  We have blundered culturally both here and there and sometimes, we wonder where home really is.  And then we're reminded, we are aliens and strangers and this is not our home...regardless of where a GPS might locate us.       
The Lord has both challenged and blessed us greatly the past 4 years. He has granted us countless acts of mercy and has been patient and forgiving untold number of times. His Hand of protection has shielded us in situations that we can recount and in times, I'm sure, of which we never knew.  He has led, He has prodded, He has encouraged and He has chastised.  He has comforted, He has provided and He has taken away.  But He has never left us in any of it.  
We have experienced very great highs and very low lows.  We have seen the most beautiful displays of God's creation and the ugliest and most depraved sign of man's nature.  We have gasped in awe at His handiwork and in horror at the manifestations of man's sinful rebellion.  We have been privy to have witnessed and to have experienced great moments of joy and profound moments of pain.  I could never have imagined what an adventure this journey would be nor would I have changed one single thing, although there have been times of heartache and discouragement. 
The Lord has grown my faith exponentially and He continues to take my breath away every time He takes my hand and guides me into areas I fear to tread!  Whether that is in a dangerous barrio after dark (with a window that won't roll up!) or sharing with the drug dealers about Jesus or praying with a family whose daughter is moments from death or counseling a young woman who is beaten daily by her husband or trying to console the family who frequents the local witch and medium after the death of their beloved grandmother.  None of those were places I would have chosen to go...but they were all places the Lord led me.    
I feel incredibly blessed today and am so excited to see what He has for us around the corner on this rough and bumpy road.  We sense that road is going to lead to a relocation for us and that He has something new for us in this next year.  As much as I want to stay "put" and settled, I don't see that happening.  But we'll see.  He has been good to keep us unsettled enough that we have to depend on Him so I would imagine "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  That's Ozarkian for "Lynne...learn to travel light!"  I am just so incredibly thankful that Jim is the one who is traveling that road with me and that our Constant Companion is the Lord.  I love you, Lord...I want to love you even more and I am looking forward to the rest of our journey!

2 comments:

Emilio Fernandez said...

Good morning how are you?
My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.
I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.
For all this I would ask you one small favour:
Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Nicaragua? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Nicaragua in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:
Emilio Fernandez Esteban
Avenida Juan de la Cierva, 44
28902 Getafe (Madrid)
Spain
If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.
Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

Yours Sincerely

Emilio Fernandez

Chris Naab said...

I was thinking about you both today and wanted to say a quick prayer, as I normally do when I'm out and about for you and your travels. But I was called instead to take the time and read your blog and boy am I glad I did. I have been feeling discouraged by my lack of field work in God's kingdom. I have been working hard here in the States but feel like my labor only yields selfish friuts. I desprately want to return to Nica land and help out but I simply do not have the ability to break away.

Then I read you letter and was deeply moved by your words. (You have become a fantastic writer by the way, you need to publish a book about your time down there). I just wanted to let you know that there are lots of people here who love and pray for you, and who are inspired by your example to be better stewards whith what the Lord has blessed us with

Keep going and know that I am praying for you.

And I will return, or be there to help you out as long as God calls you in the field.

LOVE,

Chris Naab