CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The End of November...Really?



Wow, has it really been that long since I’ve written a blog???  I guess that’s another consequence of having Facebook…quick and easy updates seem to have taken precedence over thoughtful and time-consuming blogging.  True, it’s easier for me but probably not nearly as informative as I need to be.  

So, today, I will try to do a re-cap for you.  One of the main reasons I have the time to do this now is because Jim and Sam, one of the young men who frequents our home here in Somoto, are gone today to Condega, another community about 25 kilometers from here, to get the brakes fixed on the car…a gift from some very wonderful friends who came to stay with us the week of Thanksgiving.  They are generous to a fault but this particular gift might have been prompted by the fact that we were driving them around the mountain curves with some squealing brakes!  Regardless, we are most appreciative!  And, I’m sure, much safer!

Well, most of you already know that we moved here to Somoto the end of October and we’ve been here a month now.  It’s been a little more challenging to feel settled here simply due to the fact that we’ve had to make 4 different trips back to Managua in that month’s time and all but 1 have been for 2-3 days at a time.  I’m ready for some continuity in my routine!  

I guess it’s no secret that life for most of us is filled with changes…some more welcome than others.  And adapting to most changes requires flexibility and patience.  I’m pretty good at being flexible for the most part…but somehow, patience is still a challenge for me, although I do think I’m getting better at that…but only because the Lord has given me so many opportunities to practice it!  My daily reminder from my Father seems to be, “Remember, this isn’t about you…it’s about Me.”  I’m a bit ashamed to say that it appears I have to be reminded of that daily.   

Ministry from Managua was established, scheduled and comfortable, in the sense that I knew that I had regular obligations each week.   I didn’t always know how the result of those obligations was going to look, but I knew what I need to plan for in terms of lessons, crafts, etc….and I was busy!   Ministry here is taking some time to get going and even though I’m sure that God has us in this season of “quiet” for a reason, it’s not a season to which I’m accustomed…which means I’m having to learn how to do days differently here.  This is a challenge for me…I want to “do” and yet, I think the Lord is telling me to take this time He’s giving me and to just “be”.  He’s done that before in my life…I recognize it…I just am not comfortable with it.

So what are we doing right now?  As I said, we moved here a month ago so getting unpacked and settled in has taken some time.  We have also made several visits out to the school, Cristóbal Colón in the rural community of El Melonar.   School ends this week and won’t start up again until February…this time off is equivalent to our summer vacation.  We’ve also been by Los Pipitos several times just to stay in touch.  We’ll be taking some piñata-making materials there later this week…this is one of the things they do to help raise funds for their work there.  I’ll also be taking some beads and cording for the children to use as part of their occupational therapy.  We’ve gone out to Caucauli to re-connect with some folks we met earlier in the year.  We’ve been able to purchase some medication for a handful of folks who are suffering with everything from colds to pneumonia to a deep tissue wound.  We’ve been able to help several elderly people who made it in to Somoto but were either stranded here without bus fare or food or were too tired to walk the 5 miles back home.  We’ve started a twice-weekly Bible study with Sam and we’re praying that when the time is right, some of the other young adults will also join.  We seem to have unexpected guests show up several times a week which means I need to keep a stocked refrigerator and plenty of ice and beverages on hand!  Plus a few other things that may not seem significant but when your days seem empty of activity, they make for the bright spot in the day.  You know…when I look back over this, I guess we’ve been busier than I thought.  Just not with making lesson plans right now…

We recently had our friends, Chuck and Jeanna Jones from our home church in Cassville, come to stay with us over the Thanksgiving holiday.  They were so much fun to have and did more to minister to us than we could have ever imagined.  It was so nice to be able to have another woman to share my heart with for awhile and I know Jim thoroughly enjoyed having Chuck here to help him with a few projects around the house.  We loved being able to show them Somoto and to introduce them to some of the people we already have come to care so much about.  

They were actually our second house guests.  Susanna came and spent a few days with us when we moved in and her help was invaluable.  I think we just about worked her to death because as soon as she would finish on one project, she would begin another.  We loved having her here and hope she comes back soon…and this time, I promise not to put her to work! 

Our friend Raquel, the director from CINAFE, is coming to stay with us for at least one night the week before Christmas.  I’m hoping we can talk her into two!  

Several years ago, we met a couple from Pennsylvania, Karen and Denny Shenk, with whom we quickly became friends.  They visit Nicaragua several times a year and have a real passion for missions.  They were going to come back this month but Karen’s father became very ill and recently passed away with pancreatic cancer.  They are now coming in January and have already let us know that they are carving out a few days in their busy schedule just to come up here and see us.  I can hardly wait!  It will be a few days of non-stop laughter and sharing the goodness of the Lord. 

Then, and this is the visit I’m really hoping and praying…literally…will happen…our home church might bring a team in March!  Just even thinking about it makes my heart swell and ache at the same time.  I love these people so much…they aren’t just people with whom we go to church while in the States…they are our church “family”!  And having them come would be like having a piece of “home” come and visit… just like it was with Chuck and Jeanna only with more people bringing it!  

Well, that’s pretty much it as far as updating you as to what’s been going on in general terms.  I’ve also added some before and after pictures of our new home.  I still remember looking at it for the first time this past June.  As soon as we stepped on to the front porch, I knew that this was going to be our home.   I have to say that only God could have given me the vision that would convince me that what we were looking at then, could become what we live in now.  And honestly, the house has turned out to be so much more than I had envisioned!  Just another example of how we’ve experienced God’s abundant and loving provision since moving here.  

I hope you enjoy the pictures!  
The guest room before (9'x8')
The guest room before
The guest room now
The guest bathroom now

The study now

The study before (9'x8')





The living room before

The living room now

The living room before

The living room now
The kitchen before

The kitchen now

The kitchen/dining area before

The kitchen/dining area now


The front porch before

The front porch now




The end of the house before the laundry room and our bedroom were added

Opposite view now that the bedroom and laundry room have been added

View towards the bodegas before

The bodegas and back patio now

The back patio now

The outside bathroom & shower now




The back yard during construction - note the outhouse

The back yard now...including what remains of the outhouse

Starting to make flower beds

Trying to make the yard more welcoming is a challenge

The hallway which opens in to the newly constructed laundry room area...                                                                        the double doors used to be the end of the house

The newly constructed laundry room and missions room

Looking towards our newly constructed bedroom from the laundry/missions room

Storage cabinets are a must in this house...a great lack of closets

Our bedroom

Our locally hand-made armoire closet

Looking in to our bathroom

Making storage wherever we can

The front porch before

The front porch now

I see this reminder every day as it's above my stove




Added some bright decals to help with the blankness of the white tile


The blocked in window in the dining area...now is my 3 dimensional floral "painting"

Keeping my loved ones close



The door to the back patio with a glimpse of one of the 6 skylights in the house
 
Keeping the kitchen colorful!  One of the cutout windows in the kitchen

No comments: