CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Xander the Great

I was going to write about last week with the team, but out of deference to my daughter, Mandy, I decided first to tell you about the newest addition to the Curtis family – Xander. Xander is our 8 week old mixed breed puppy. “Mixed breed” sounds so much more refined than “mutt”, doesn’t it? We didn’t get to see either the mother or the father of Xander but just from looking at him, I would almost guess he has some shepherd in him.

We have been praying for some time about getting a dog. I have resisted doing this for the simple fact, I get so attached to my animals that when we have to get rid of them (as we did when we moved here) or when we’ve lost them to death, I am an emotional wreck. I realize not everyone feels so strongly about animals but I know there are a few out there who understand exactly what I’m talking about.

My other hesitation is we’re on the go so much. We are committed to activities three times a week that keep us from the house much of the day. Having a dog brings responsibility, changes schedules, adds accountability in a new way…sounds kind of like having a baby, doesn’t it?
Our home security situation has become such that we decided it was going to be necessary to add a guard dog to the “payroll”. Susanna had generously offered Pixie to us and we love her to pieces. But, after we had some strangers come to the gate and call to Pixie AND she responded with wiggles and licks, we decided she is a great with hospitality but not so great at being a guard dog! I think if she could, she would open the gate and invite anyone in as long as they acted glad to see her.
We started looking seriously for a dog. Several opportunities came up to buy a variety of pups, such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Weimaraners, etc. from Americans living here but the price was just more than we felt we could pay. Margarita and Felix each told us about people they knew who had puppies but I just wasn’t excited about buying a “Nica” dog. That prejudice was based on the street dogs we see running loose. They all look like they’ve come from the same litter, regardless of their color. I wanted something different but just didn’t know what.
Well, that’s not entirely true. I wanted a sweet little lap dog that would turn into Cujo if someone tried to climb the fence or break in. Jim convinced me that very few Shih Tzus sound vicious enough to deter a burglar. He wanted a guard dog that would protect our home and our person. I don’t know that lap-sitting was necessarily part of his criteria. So, we were at a stalemate on the dog issue. We just kept praying God would bring the right dog for us…one that we both would love and one that would do the job we needed him to do.
One night, the week before the team came, Ramon, the security guard next door, brought a puppy with him along with his other two dogs that accompany him everywhere. He and Jim were out at the gate talking. Evidently, Felix, our guard, and Ramon have built up a friendship of sorts. Felix has been witnessing to Ramon and although Ramon is not a Christian, he is fascinated with the American missionaries who live next door to his employer. He always acts so glad to see us and loves to talk with Jim. When we’re gone in the afternoon, he will often sit outside the gate of our neighbor’s so that he can also keep an eye on our place, as well.
Ramon showed the puppy to Jim. Jim immediately came down to the house to tell me that Ramon had a puppy and he asked if I wanted to come see it. For a split second, I thought about saying no, assuming it was a typical Nica pup. But, the lure of holding a puppy for a little bit proved to be too strong and so I went up the driveway to see Ramon holding the cutest little fat ball of fur!
He pushed him through the bars at me and the puppy snuggled in. He was 6 weeks old at the time and was just as sweet as could be. Of course, I was a goner. I asked Ramon to tell me about him. He assured me his parents were brave and very strong and that he was a beautiful “baron” (male). I expected this and took it with a grain of salt but I could see that the puppy was well-taken care of, comparatively speaking, and that if his paws were any indication, he was going to be bigger than a duck. (that’s a family joke…)
I asked Ramon how much he was selling him for and he told me 200 cordobas. That’s about $10. He also told me he had other puppies if I would want to look at them. I told him no, that we were wanting a male and that this puppy was beautiful. I know that Ramon would have sold him for less if I asked, but it’s not hard to see that Ramon scrapes as is, to make his very small ends meet. God impressed on me this was not a time to bargain.
It didn’t take a full minute for Jim and I to decide to buy the puppy. I told Ramon we wanted the puppy and his half-toothless smile reached from ear to ear. He kept assuring me what a good dog he was and that he was the most beautiful one of all his puppies. He was so happy, that even if I would have experienced buyer’s remorse, which I didn’t, I could never have changed my mind.
I told Ramon about the group coming and that we wouldn’t be home much the following week. I asked him if he would keep the dog for me for two weeks. His smile began to fade. I told him I would pay him half right then and the other half when we got the puppy. The smile returned. He said he would take good care of him until we could take him. I went into the house and got 100 cord and brought it out to Ramon. He again assured us that the puppy was a good dog and that he would take very good care of him. I was hoping he would follow through on that promise.
Well, two days ago, we found out Ramon was indeed true to his word. When Felix came to work that night, Jim asked him if Ramon was next door because we were ready for our puppy. Felix said that Ramon had brought the puppy but he wanted to bathe him first as he had fleas and ticks. I wasn’t surprised…but later, I was surprised at how many he had. Poor little guy was covered!
The exchange was joyful for all concerned but Xander. He missed his mama and he wasn’t at all sure about becoming a gringo dog. Our first night was a little rough…well, as a matter of fact, so was last night. I’m hoping that gets better.
Yesterday, we took him to the vet to get his shots and get de-wormed. The vet agreed that he was about 8 weeks old and with the exception of the fleas, ticks and worm problem (which is rampant here), the vet said he looked to be in reasonably good health. He kept him for a few hours to give him a flea and tick bath and treated him for worms. We take Xander back on Saturday to get his first shot.

Xander is still adjusting to being without brothers, sisters and mama. He’s managed to chase Snoops and Skits several times, trying to play, and gotten a thankless swat on the nose in return. The “boys” have not yet bonded. We bought a pet carrier (at a price which could have financed a Broadway play!) in the hopes we could get him to snuggle in to it last night. Maybe tonight.
I told one of my friends that we should have named him Obama because I think he’s going to cost us a lot more than we were expecting. I won’t go in to all the reasons why I couldn’t do that but suffice to say, the dog’s name is Xander.
We’re in the process of housebreaking him and hopefully, he’ll prove to be a quick learner as well as cute puppy. Right now, it’s hard to imagine he’ll ever be a guard dog. He’s curled up on my feet as I type this. He is easily startled and is very vocal about everything. He’s either a constant complainer or he’s a perfect dog for me, very talkative! I’m hoping it’s the latter.
Okay, his name. What does it mean and how did we come up with it? Names are a big deal to me with my animals. They always have to be the “right” one. No name seemed to jump out at us. So, I got to thinking. We paid $10 for this puppy. Do you know whose picture is on the $10 bill? Yep, you guessed it. Alexander Hamilton. He was our first Secretary of the Treasury. Although at times, a man of dubious moral character, he is credited for saying one of my favorite quotes, “Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.” But I didn’t want a dog named Alexander…too formal. If you know Jim and me, we eliminated formal from our personal vocabulary some time ago.
Xander…we liked the name Xander. It’s different and he kind of looks like a Xander…although I’m not completely sure how a Xander is supposed to look. I looked the name up on a baby name website to see if there was any “meaning” to it. Of course, it is short for Alexander but what I read next was the clincher regarding picking his name…it is of Greek origin and means “man’s defender or warrior.” Woo-hoo!! We got us a guard dog!!! I have to go now…I have to move Xander off my feet so I can carry him outside. Poor thing is tired. It’s hard work being a great warrior and defender.

No comments: