CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Friday, September 11, 2009

The squeezer...

We’ve had a long couple of days. Well, to be truthful, we’ve had a long couple of weeks. The car continues to be an issue. Last Monday, we had to do some errands in Managua and we could tell it was getting really bad. We met Miguel at Metro Centro to take him to get his tools that he needs to start repairing cell phones. He has graduated from both schools now and is ready to begin his business! Since we had to wait on the delivery guy to bring the rest of the tools to the house of the vendor…so Nica-like…we decided to go get something to eat as we hadn’t had lunch and neither had Miguel.

As a result, we were able to be part of Miguel’s idea of an “American Experience” by taking him to eat at McDonald’s. It was his first time there. It is pretty much like any McDonald’s…not so great food but fast. Poor Miguel was overwhelmed when we walked in. He had no idea what to do or what to order. He immediately backed up and turned to me with a panicked look on his face. We quickly went through the various sandwiches and he decided to go for the Big Mac Combo with the extra purchase of a real glass – blue in color. I don't know it that promotion is the same State-side or not, but it seems to be a big hit here. Miguel thought it was a mistake that they don’t serve carrot juice to drink but he settled on a large Coke instead and was quite happy that he had a glass to take home.

Miguel ate his Big Mac in short order but I don’t think he cared much for the French Fries and probably would have left them if I hadn’t noticed that he left them on his tray and asked him if he didn’t like them. It wasn’t to spur him on to eat them, it was a legitimate question. But, his good manners surpassed his good palate and he quickly ate every last one of them. Poor guy…I didn’t like mine either! I love watching Miguel with first-time experiences that I just take for granted… He's so fun and open to try anything he thinks is "American".

After we finished lunch, we returned to the guy's house and Miguel got his tools. Of course, it wasn't as simple as that. We had to go in and be seated on the front porch while they carefully unpacked the tools, found an extension cord and ran it through the porch window to the front bedroom so that they could plug in the tools to make sure they were in working order. Miguel wanted more assurance. So the guy had to find a cell phone circuit board to let Miguel try the tools out on. Finally, everything met his approval and we left. But, the car was acting up so badly that we had to have Miguel take a bus back to Tipitapa. He was fine with doing so and we headed for home, praying all the way.

Tuesday, we knew we were going to have to get the car in to a mechanic immediately as we didn’t feel we could wait another week for our scheduled appointment with our regular mechanic. It had reached the point it was getting way too dangerous to drive, especially on these roads. We made it to school without incidence, thank you Lord...and Jim telephoned Susanna to see if she could get us an appointment at our old mechanic’s. Thankfully, because of the relationship Susanna has with the mechanic and his crew, we were able to get it right in.

Jim left school and took it in to Managua. The mechanic said he could get it to where we could drive it safely but only for a short time. Susanna met him there and then let Jim use her car that afternoon to come back to school to pick me up. By the time school was out, the car was done and we were able to go pick it up. He put on one new front brake and rotor. The good news was we were able to drive our car home with a bit more peace of mind…the bad news was the cost. Yuk…it was almost triple the cost it is in the States. I hate car problems!!!!!!!!!

The week passed without any thing terrible happening vehicle-wise. We tried to limit our time out as much as possible. Thankfully, we were able to have our regular English class and Bible study in Tipitapa. We had 25 students Saturday and both lessons went well. The students are beginning to be more comfortable with both of us. One of the ladies even gave me a note after the study thanking me for teaching and for my patience! Well, that was a first! I have never considered myself a patient person and have even pondered the thought if patience was a dropped stitch when I was being knit in my mother’s womb. That lady has no idea what joy she brought to my heart with that one little note!

That day also happened to be Miguel’s birthday and the third wedding anniversary for Elizabeth and him. After the classes, we surprised Miguel with a decorated birthday cake large enough to serve the family, plus soda and a few gifts. We also had an anniversary gift for them plus I had made a loaf of mango bread, their favorite.

We had a great time talking and laughing with Miguel’s family. Eddy, one of Miguel’s friends whom we also know, stopped by to give his good wishes. He joined us and shortly after that, Kenneth and his dad came by. There ended up being 10 of us so I’m glad we bought a larger cake. Kenneth was very quiet and when he came to hug me, I could tell he was feverish. He sat in a rocker next to me and it wasn’t long before he began to nod off. I was concerned and asked him if he was tired. Kenneth told me he was plus it was very hot in that house so I attributed some of his sleepiness to that. Danelia said that he had been to the hospital earlier in the week as his pain levels were starting to elevate. I asked her what the doctor was going to do and she told me that they said they couldn’t do anymore and they would just give him pills for pain and watch him. I asked how long and she didn’t know. I didn’t push it as I could tell by her face that she was close to tears. We were supposed to be celebrating. And so we went back to the party but I am sure both of us had our minds elsewhere.

For the most part, we had enjoyed the day…working with the students and then spending time with Miguel’s family and getting to be part of the celebration. Jim and I were both tired that night and just as we were getting ready to go to bed about 10:00, we heard the all too familiar, terribly loud sound of a mariachi band! We had noticed some extra cars next door but there hadn’t been a lot of noise until the band began playing…and then the volume was definitely pumped up! Sleep wasn’t impossible but it was sparse…the festivities were still going strong at 4:00 that next morning! We had been Pixie-sitting that weekend and even she couldn’t sleep with all that noise. I don’t know if she helped keep us awake or if our tossing and turning bothered her…either way, we were all short on our snoozing that night.

Sunday afternoon, Susanna had us come over to her house as her parents were here visiting for a few days. We had met her father several years back when they visited our church in Cassville for one of our Global Impact Celebrations. Her mother and I have exchanged e-mails but this was the first time we had the pleasure to meet her. Susanna had also invited Roger, Rhonda and the kids. We hadn’t seen much of them lately so it was good to catch up with them.

While there, and in just the course of conversation, I mentioned Kenneth. Susanna asked how he was doing and I told her about my concern over his behavior and fever the day before. I told her what Danelia said the doctors had told her. Susanna told me that if I liked, she would call the oncologist she was using to treat an older lady who is taking chemo for breast cancer and see if he would be willing to look at Kenneth and give us his medical opinion of his situation. Susanna spoke highly of the doctor, his knowledge and his manner. I told her we would be very grateful if she would do that.

Most of Monday was spent doing laundry, getting copies made, buying groceries and trying to find a car battery and connectors…unfortunately, we couldn’t find the right one. Jim kept messing with the cables so that we could at least get the car started. This is getting to be almost a daily occurrence now. I also called Miguel and told him of the conversation we had with Susanna. I asked him if he thought Danelia would object to getting a second opinion and he assured me she wouldn’t. I told him to tell her she needed to have Kenneth on stand-by for the next couple of days. He was very excited and told me he would call her right away.
Monday night, our guard showed up with a big bag of garlic to ward off snakes. He broke off all the cloves, took the skin off them and sprinkled them quite liberally all around our yard. The smell of garlic was so potent I could smell it in the house! So far, so good. No snakes, no vampires and no leprechauns. Maybe it does work after all…

Tuesday was our Los Cedros day. It’s always somewhat of a wild day for us there…how odd that I look back on it now and see that it was the most “normal” day we’ve had for a bit. The kids were very “exuberant” again and even children who normally don’t act up were in trouble with their regular teachers. We left, hot and tired, and very glad that we were going to have a week off due to teacher’s activities and the upcoming Independence Day celebrations (the 14th and 15th of September). I was ready to relax for a few days and take a break without having to do so as a result of the flu!

Life feels somewhat like we’ve been in a lemon squeezer lately…and it’s starting to get a little snug. I just hope that the “juice” that’s coming out isn’t too sour… You know what they say about when life gives you lemons... But the truth of it is, I don't feel like we've been given lemons...I feel like we are two of the most privileged people on earth. What we see and experience is beyond anything we would ever be able to do on our own.

God is teaching us so much about trusting Him. And we know we are richly blessed in so many ways…a few that are apparent and many others that might be considered subjective. I find the more I feel “pressed” by worries and concerns here, the more I seek God. Is it any wonder He allows me to visit the squeezer so often? I do love His presence and I love hearing Him through His Word and all the other ways He speaks to me. One of the things I have noticed I ask for most here is His peace…life is not very peaceful. I’ve also noticed that I have it most when I am in the midst of asking Him for it. Another ah-ha moment with the linking of the two. He’s about to give me a good dose of blessings in both the seeking and the asking...and yes, the trusting.

No comments: