CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Back in Managua...

Our travel day back to Managua: Mandy took us to the airport to see us off. We were so grateful that our four cases all came in under the maximum weight limit. We had to buy a new suitcase this trip home as the old one had reached the TSA’s maximum allowable weight on duct tape on a suitcase! At least that’s what I told Jim, anyway.  It has been several years since we had to buy luggage so we were both a little shocked by the prices they were asking for a fabric covered version of a Radio Flyer on end! But, after much searching and a last minute shopping trip, we found a Samsonite that I’m hoping proves to be baggage-handler proof for at least a handful of round-trip flights. I’m not too worried about it being gorilla-proof as I’ve not seen any actual gorillas slamming luggage marked “Fragile” on the beltway.



This is the first time in several years that we have been able to fly out of Rogers for less than out of Tulsa and it was so nice for Mandy to not have such a long drive home. Because we arrived at the airport early, we were able to sit and visit for awhile before we had to go through security. The time chatting together was wonderful but the good-byes are still heart-wrenching. I always try to brace myself to not break down and cry and I always fail. I’m sure that every-time I go through the security checkpoints that the TSA officials must think I’m grieving…in some respects, they are right.


For some reason, our flight was late arriving so we were late taking off. It was not an issue for us as we had a 4 hour layover between flights but I know there were some on the flight who were very concerned about the delay. We had a very entertaining and very attentive steward on our flight who was named Boudreaux…I’m guessing he was from Louisiana. He seemed to go out of his way to speak with each passenger and to appear sincerely concerned for our comfort. That probably wouldn’t bear much notice except when we saw him later in the concourse at Houston, he remembered us and made a few sentences of small talk, asking where we were going, etc. I appreciated the personal exchange in this venue, which is by nature, a fast-paced, non-personal world all its own. So kudos to Boudreaux and those rare few who are like him!


The 4 hour cushion between flights proved to be a blessing. My knee held out but I obviously wasn’t up to any power-walking and so it was just so nice to not have to rush from one gate to the other…naturally located at opposite ends of the airport! We stopped along our hike and ate a late lunch at Panda Express and then found our departing gate. We each had our Kindles and so we read until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer and I took a short nap…trusting Jim to nudge me if my mouth should fall open or I should begin to drool. Never felt any nudges but my throat was a little dry when I woke up…


Our flight to Managua was also a bit late to board and it was completely full. Our seats happened to be on the exit row which didn’t give us any more space width-wise, but did give Jim a little bit more knee room which made it a tad more comfortable for him. We got out on the tarmac and seemed to be sitting there longer than normal. Finally, the captain came on the p.a. and told us that we were overloaded and that he would need to burn off some more fuel before we could take off. I prayed that it wasn’t our stuffed-to-the-gills carry-ons causing the problem and that he would know how much to burn off and how much to keep for the flight! 


There were 3 North American men, all traveling separately, sitting directly behind us and two of them sat and talked together throughout most of the flight. The young man in the center seat was a Christian and he had engaged the gentleman on the aisle seat in conversation. Most of it was focused on the guy in the aisle seat explaining about his business in Nicaragua and how it benefitted the Nicaraguan people. He is somehow involved in a Zona Franca…which are nothing more than giant sweat shops…long, long workdays, lousy working conditions and ridiculously low pay. I think I would have to disagree that he benefits the Nicaraguan people…I tend to think most of the employees who work there tend to be exploited and not benefitted.


The young man in the middle seat asked lots of questions and they were very relaxed in their conversation when the young man began telling the other man why he was going to Nicaragua. He was with a small medical team who were going up north to do some free clinics. He then told him that the reason he was doing that is because he wanted to show the love of Jesus Christ in a very practical way. The aisle guy got very quiet. The middle man (so to speak) also told the aisle guy that God had a plan for his life and then began sharing the gospel with him. Jim and I smiled at each other and we both began to pray silently for the holy encounter going on behind us.


As we were nearing Managua, I realized that the young man sitting by the window had not participated in any part of the conversation going on in the seats next to him. I glanced back at him several times (the 3rd seat has been removed on the exit rows so it allows for an open space there). He held a book like he was reading it but it was obvious he wasn’t. He closed it up and began looking out the window as we were low enough that we could start seeing lights in some of the outer areas.


I turned toward the man and asked him if this was his first visit to Managua. He smiled and told me that it was his second and that it was for business purposes. I asked him if his business kept him in Managua or if he was able to travel to other areas of the country. He told me he would be staying mainly in Managua and the Masaya area but would someday love to come back with his wife to just visit. He told me where he was staying and that the company he was working with was very good to have someone available to pick him up and they assign him a car and chauffeur. We chatted for just a few minutes and he asked why we were going to Managua. I gave him the Cliff’s notes version of the “why” (I can be brief when time is of the essence!) and he got a really funny expression on his face. About that time we were landing and so I turned around and faced the front as Managua landings are notorious for being a little rough. This one did not disappoint.


I asked Jim for one of our business cards and had him write our current cell phone number on the back of it. I then turned around and gave it to the young man and simply told him that if he should find himself in any kind of jam or needed any help, to just give us a call. He looked shocked and then very pleased and then thanked me. I just smiled and turned around and silently prayed for him. I was pretty sure that He doesn’t know the Lord. During that brief conversation, we never introduced ourselves. Not sure why, but God has brought him to both Jim’s mind and mine several times during the past few days. I figure God has a reason for us to be praying for him and so we do. Hopefully, one day, I’ll bump in to him in heaven and find out why.


I wrote a little bit on Facebook re: Day 1 and our car problems. I’ll try to summarize it pretty quickly here: a friend used our car while we were gone and the car decided it was an opportune time to begin to fall apart! She took it a mechanic who was one of those” friend of a friend” guys and who was supposed to be really good and was giving a great deal besides. Not so convinced. Yesterday was the first chance we’ve had to drive it since our return. What we found was that the a/c no longer works, the RPM gauge has quit working (which goes along with the non-functioning gas gauge and speedometer – both of which quit the last two times we were Stateside!), one of our belts squeals horribly, the front door locks will unlock themselves every few minutes, the windows weren’t rolling down or up when they were supposed to do so and the back door won’t unlock.


Yesterday morning, after we had our quiet time, we went out on the balcony off of our bedroom since it was cooler outside than in…we had lost electricity and as a result, had no fans and no coffee. The fans are a must when it’s hot but the coffee is close to crucial year round. While we were sitting there, Eddie, one of the complexes handymen saw us on the balcony and greeted us. I asked how he was doing and he said fine…and then when I asked how his baby girl was doing, Eddy walked over to stand just below us. He told us that she had an operation last week to have two cysts removed from her eyelids and that she will have to have another surgery before long to remove one off the other eye. He said she was doing very well and he thanked God for that. He also thanked us for asking about her and said that if we needed any work done in our house, to just let him know. At the time, I didn’t…but he did have to come today to replace a washer in my kitchen faucet. That type of repair is included in our rent but I gave Eddy just a little money since I just wanted to bless him. He was so grateful and thanked me several times.


Back to yesterday…I have to admit I wasn’t giddy with excitement as we left for lunch yesterday. The issues with the car were just so frustrating. Jim and I went to Pizza Hut to eat where we could get our cheapo $8 for 2 meal…of course that now $8.25 meal doesn’t include our drinks or the $2 special on cinnamon sticks but still, it’s a very reasonably priced meal all in all.


As Jim and I were sitting in the booth waiting for our waiter to come take our order, we were talking about how routine everything seemed to be. I told him that I had always been excited about returning to Managua before but that this time, I felt more resigned to it and that maybe we weren’t supposed to be coming back. (Remember I told you how hard it was for me to leave this time?) I said that I wished I knew for sure that’s where God wanted us. No sooner had I gotten the words out of my mouth than one of the waitresses named Jenifer came up to us and quickly greeted us, shaking Jim’s hand and giving me a kiss on each cheek. She said she had not seen us for a long time and wanted to know if we had been on vacation. (I didn’t think we went there to eat that often!) I told her we had been in the States for the last three months and had just gotten back the night before. She quickly pointed out that she was going to have a baby in March and placed my hand on her rounded little tummy. The baby’s name is Alexis and I’m sure will be as beautiful as her mama. I congratulated her and she told me she was so glad we came back to Nicaragua. After she walked off, I told Jim I had spoken too soon.


After lunch, we went to get some money changed as we had spent most of what I had on me for lunch. Our cambistas (moneychangers) are brothers and they sit under a tree on a busy street in Managua and change money for those who pull up in front of them. It’s Managua’s version of a drive-through bank! Before we even pulled up, one of the two brothers, stood up and began walking to the curb. When I rolled my window down (and it stayed down on its own, thank goodness), he reached in, shook hands with both of us, told us that he had missed us and wanted to know how our vacation was. He and Jim did their transaction and as we were getting ready to drive off, he said he was glad we were back in the country. His brother waved good-bye. I was surprised that they had missed us but again, pleased that someone had noticed we were gone.


The final “welcome home” for the day came at the grocery store. One of the sackers we have known since the store opened was so excited to see us. He told us he had missed seeing us and wondered if we had moved away. I told him we had gone to the States for a visit. He said he was glad we hadn’t moved back. I want to say that it’s because we always speak to him when we’re there but I think it’s more about the fact that we give him a tip when he carries out our groceries. Either way…those were nice words to hear. And those positive strokes made for a much nicer ending to the day.


So now, we’re on Day 2 of our return to Managua and I think I finally have everything put away where it’s supposed to go, all the clothes got washed, the throw rugs washed, the thick layer of black mold cleaned from the fridge and chest freezer seals, Eddy fixed the leaky kitchen faucet today, the internet is finally connected, the plants got watered and we have Pixie with us once again!


We never know what we’re going to find (or find missing) when we leave for any length of time and this time was no different…other than the length of time we spent away. Three months is a long time to leave a place uninhabited in this climate. We have found a handful of termite runs throughout the place, but only one seems to have been active and it was a doozie! Jim sprayed the dickens out of it and smacked an already flat scary looking bug/spider thing. The closest picture I’ve found on the internet that resembles it is a creepy looking crawlie called a tail-less whip scorpion. They’re not supposed to be harmful to humans. We’ll never know where that one was concerned. Gave me the willies!


There are several new stains on the ceiling which indicates it had several leaks that we didn’t have before and the sheetrock tape is coming down in a couple of areas. The bodega flooded while we were gone but doesn’t appear to be any major damage out there. And, all in all, the house seemed to fare okay. I think it helped having Margarita continue to come in 3x week and everything still seems to be in its place...plus most of my plants made it.


Today, Jim and our Nicaraguan friend, Martin (who picked us up at the airport), went to get a couple of estimates on getting the a/c repaired. The first place wanted an arm and a leg to fix it and the second place wanted just an arm…we’re going with the arm guy and just praying he knows what he’s doing! Jim and will take it back tomorrow morning and leave it and hopefully, we’ll get it back tomorrow afternoon with a working a/c. Martin is going to follow him there so that he can bring him back home. If that works out as we hope, then Jim and our friend will take the car on Friday to the mechanic who worked on it while we’re gone to figure out what repairs need to be repaired. I’m assuming the mechanic won’t charge for this visit.


The car fiasco has changed our plans for this week but that’s okay. We probably needed to take a few days to get settled back in before going to visit everyone. Friday night, we’re going to a pot-luck supper at our pastor’s house. Saturday, we’ll stay close to home as there is a large scale political demonstration planned by the opposition to the ruling government. Sunday is church and lunch with friends. Looks like visits will have to wait until next week.







No comments: