CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Friday, February 26, 2010

Market madness...

Last weekend, I was accused of being more Nica than American. Now, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that there is nothing about me that appears to be Nicaraguan. Nica women are petite yet strong. I am anything but petite and it’s been so long since I’ve had any semblance of muscular strength that lifting anything much heavier than 25# just about does me in these days. Nica women are patient and they have such a wonderful natural beauty to them. Me? Patience is that fruit that, all too often, I apparently spit out and as far as the second attribute, I consider it a public service for me not to go out in public without makeup. So, to have someone tell me that I’m now a “Nica” came as a bit of a surprise…and, whether it was meant as a compliment or not, I took it as such.
I received this compliment after telling Miguel about my experience at the market last week. We’ve been going to the Mercado Israel Lewites every Saturday morning to buy the fruits and vegetables that we take to Kenneth and his family (and occasionally, to Miguel and Elizabeth and to Miguel’s mother). This market is also known as the Boer. Prices are cheaper there than at the grocery store and we like supporting “mom and pop” type businesses. Those types of businesses remain near and dear to our hearts and I suppose they always will.
Shopping at the market is definitely an experience. I remember I was so intimidated by it in the beginning and I still am wary of my purse, keeping it cross body and in front of me at all times. Jim also pays close attention to his belongings. Before we even get to the market, I put my money in a place that’s easily accessible to me and hopefully, not to others, so that I don’t have to have my change bag opened up for all to see.
The market is a fun place but it’s also a place of opportunists. There is always someone waiting to help lighten your load by taking your bag, camera, billfold, whatever. Obviously, it pays to be aware of your surroundings there. But, maybe that little bit of edginess adds to the “fun” of going to the market. It’s always crowded and just trying to drive through the narrow, congested street that leads in to the market parking area is a feat of bravery, lunacy and determination. It’s another place where I’m glad Jim always does the driving…I think I would turn in to someone akin to a New York taxi driver there!
The vendors at the Boer are extremely pushy in trying to sell their wares and in the interior part of the market, they are even more aggressive, often grabbing your arm as you walk by in an attempt to get you to stop. I am much better about shopping there now and will pull my arm away without stopping, but I still don’t like to be grabbed. You would think by now that I would have learned that there is no personal space here in Nicaragua yet I still consider my chubby little arm as off-limits to strangers.
On our first visit there, I had asked the names of the people who have the produce stand where we had chosen to shop. I told them why we were buying all the fruits and veggies and that if we were able to buy our produce at a good price, we would buy from their stand every Saturday. I made sure they understood we live here and that we were going to be someone’s regular customers. Because it was a large purchase, we got great service and lots of “freebies” which we passed on to the families in Tipitapa.
Natalie made me her customer from the very beginning. She is a beautiful young girl and I’m not sure of her relationship with Gloria and Juan Pablo, who appear to own the stand. She makes sure that she picks out the best or the biggest of whatever it is that I tell her I want. She knows that I want nutritious and good quality fruits and veggies but she also knows that I am not willing to pay inflated prices just because I’m a gringa. She knows that beyond a shadow of a doubt now.
Two weeks ago, I asked Natalie the prices of each item that I “ordered” and jotted them down on my grocery list. I was talking with Juan Pablo when Gloria wrote up my ticket so I didn’t get to hear any of the conversation between Gloria and Natalie. When Gloria gave me my total, I thought it was higher than it should have been but because I was adding things up in my head, I assumed I must have just mis-figured. I thought about checking the list then but because we were running late, I let that just be a passing thought. I should have let it take root and grow in to action.
Jim told me in the car on the way to Tipitapa that he thought Gloria had given us a discount as he thought he heard her say something to Natalie about “mas barato” which means cheaper. I smiled and told him I thought they really wanted to make sure that we continued to buy from them. I was curious how much of a discount she had given us as I had thought the total was kind of high so I pulled out my receipt from her and compared it to my list with the prices and found just the opposite. Gloria had charged me more on just about every item I had purchased! And then, to add insult to injury, when I re-added her ticket, I realized that she had increased the amount in each of her three sum-total columns so that she padded the bill even more. I was furious!!!
I fumed about that all the way to Tipitapa. I realized then that what Jim had heard as “mas barato” (cheaper) from Gloria was actually, “demasiado barato” which means too cheap. Apparently, she took it upon herself to change the prices and then, to give me higher prices still as the sub-totals for me to add for her on my calculator. I knew that I couldn’t do anything about it then but because it was obviously intentional, I was determined to address it with Natalie the following Saturday. Which I did.
Thank goodness, there was a long week between the point of my discovery and the point of our discussion. It gave me time to not only cool down but to also pray that I would know how to handle the situation correctly. We could have opted to just not go back there and although that would have been easier than having to confront the situation, in this case, the easy thing wouldn’t have been the right thing.
So, when we pulled in Saturday morning, the parking lot was already full but we were able to find a place right in front of the fruit stand. I was a little nervous about talking to Natalie. As we got out of the car, Natalie walked out to meet us. I greeted her and then as we walked toward the stand, I told her that I had a problem from the week before. She immediately shifted her gaze elsewhere. I quit walking so that she would have to decide to either face me or walk away from me. She chose to face me.
God was so good to allow us to have our conversation in relative privacy. Which was a miracle in itself...the market is always busy, but at the time I spoke to Natalie and during much of my shopping, their booth was almost empty. I was so thankful for that show of grace as my intent was not to embarrass or draw attention to the situation. My intent was to address a situation of inflating prices and to ensure that it didn't happen again.
I told her that she had told me the prices for each fruit and vegetable and that I had written them down and then I asked her if she remembered me doing that. She said yes but she still wouldn’t look at me. I then told her that Gloria had changed the prices on the receipt and that she had charged me more money than what I was told. Natalie only nodded her head. I did not raise my voice but I was firm and I told her that was not acceptable. I told her that we were Christians and because we were Christians, we were honest with them and that we expected to be treated honestly. I told her I wanted to buy my produce from them but there were lots of other vendors at the market and I would find another one if I could not have confidence in them and trust them to be truthful with us as their customers. I told her that I didn’t know if she was the one to change the prices or if it was Gloria, but that it was not to be tried again or I would not buy anything from them that day or in the future. I then asked her if she understood and she said yes. And we began our business just like nothing had happened.
I have learned what is considered a good price and what isn’t and in no way, do I want to deprive these folks from earning a living. But neither do I want to contribute to the mindset that it’s okay to take advantage of a gringo just because they’re a gringo. There are people who love to do that kind of bargaining – I’m not one of them. I feel that for the most part, a price is a price and I can either afford it or I can’t. But, I’m learning that the market vendors play by different rules. So, what was once uncomfortable for me to do with negotiating prices, I don’t hesitate to do now if I think the price is inflated. It has certainly helped having a background many years ago in the grocery business. I may not remember where I put my purse but I can tell you exactly what I paid for pineapple two weeks ago.
Natalie continued to help me with my purchases. Occasionally, when I would question the quality or the price of something, she would either give me a few extra pieces or drop the price by a cord per pound or item. Never do I ask her to do this and she doesn’t do it on every item but she knows, I am becoming much wiser about market shopping. I would like to think that she was thinking that she needed to conduct business in an honest manner because that’s what Christ calls her to do but the truth of it is, it was probably because she knows we are “big spenders” for them and she doesn’t want to lose our business. Not many people buy the quantity of produce that we do at one time.
About halfway through our shopping, I asked Natalie if they had any guyaba (guava). She told me that they didn’t, but the lady in the “store” next door did (this is an open air market so there are no walls, only stands) and Gloria, who heard us, immediately went and got some. I asked how much they were, as I was again recording prices, and Gloria gave me a price. I thought it was way too high, so I told her that it was too much money and I didn’t want them. She told me that the price wasn’t high, that it was cheap and she began to bag them up for me. I, again, told her no. She again told me that was a good price and I wouldn’t find them any cheaper. I turned to walk away when I realized she had bagged the guyaba and was following me with them. I turned to her and in a very firm and no-nonsense tone of voice, told her I would not pay that much for those guyaba and she could give them back to the other shopkeeper. Gloria hesitated only for a second and dropped the price to half what she had just quoted not even a minute earlier. That price was a fair price. I bought six…and I think I saw a twinkle in Natalie’s eye!
We finished our shopping and once again, Juan Pablo wanted to talk to me. The light bulb went on and I realized that it wasn’t because of my masterful Spanish (not!) or my interesting point of view on world politics…it was because he wanted to distract me from Gloria writing my ticket! I excused myself and smiled at Natalie as I wedged myself between her and Gloria. As Natalie named off each item and gave Gloria the price, I made it obvious I was double checking the price and checking it off my list.
When it came time to add up the ticket, I used my calculator and got my figure and then waited for Gloria to give me hers. Funny how they matched this time. Nothing was said between Gloria and me regarding last week but I’m sure that Natalie had passed my message on. Gloria thanked us for our business and gave us a wrinkled little papaya as a gift.
Natalie and a young muchacho who is somehow connected to them, helped us carry the bags to the car. I thanked Natalie for her help with everything and told her I would see her next Saturday. She didn’t say anything and hurried back to the stand. As I was getting in to the car, she came running up with two bananas and told us that was her gift to us. I thanked her again and we each smiled at the other as we said good-bye.
The young boy asked if we would be back next Saturday. Evidently, whatever Natalie told Gloria, he had heard. I told him we would and then we gave him 10 cordobas for helping us carry our bags. He grinned from ear to ear. Jim paid our parking guard his 10 cordobas for watching our car and off we went.
As we drove to Tipitapa, Jim told me he was proud of me. He knew how hard that was for me to actually confront Natalie. It is one thing for me to rant and rave in the car but it’s something entirely different for me to have to confront someone with something like that. I think the thing that made it easier for me was that I felt like it was an opportunity for me to begin to share my faith with Natalie.
But I would be less than honest if I neglected to tell you that I left the market last weekend feeling a little bit empowered and I liked that feeling. I had confronted not only a situation that was not right but I also confronted my own fear of making someone displeased with me. I also stood my ground and refused to be bullied in to buying something at a price I didn’t want to pay. I wish I could say that has never happened here but it has. There have been instances that we have paid more than we should have or bought something we really didn’t want simply because we didn’t want to say “no” to someone and risk offending them. In order to be a good steward, sometimes “no” is in order…and some “no’s” need to be firmer than others.
When I shared all this with Miguel, he began to tease me and told me that I was just like a Nica because I was arguing prices at the market. I started to protest that I wasn’t arguing at the market but Miguel wouldn’t hear of it. He was having too much fun getting mileage out of my newly-discovered market-backbone and told me again that I was now, a Nica woman. The funny thing is that he said it with such pride, almost like he was personally responsible for this turn of events. You know…there may be a nugget of truth to that charge of Miguel’s because I really am looking forward to our trip to the market in the morning. I better end this…I have fruit and veggie prices to review!

No comments: