CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Monday, February 11, 2013

First Day of School...



Well, today was the big day!  The first day of school at the Cristóbal Colón school in El Melonar!  We packed the car yesterday afternoon and made arrangements with the people who were supposed to be riding with us…there was not going to be enough room for anyone other than Jim and myself, the car was so full!  So we gave Sam (who was going to act as our translator) enough money to pay for himself, Angelica, the computer tutor and Professor Mario’s daughter (who lives not far from us) to take a transport out to the school.  

I was so excited I could hardly sleep last night and as a result, almost overslept this morning!  But we managed to get ready without any problems, (thank goodness we had water!) and we arrived at the school a little before 8:00 a.m. when the program was supposed to begin.  Notice I said, when the program was supposed to begin…oh, ye eternally optimistic gringos!  It was a little before 9:00 when things started!  

Juan, the gov't. superintendent of the area's schools
There are always lots of speeches at things like this but I was surprised that the ones this morning were reasonably short and to the point.  Professor Mario started the morning by welcoming everyone and having the students and their parents sing the national anthem.  Immediately following that, Juan who is the superintendant over four of the rural schools out the same road as El Melonar, also spoke briefly.  Juan explained that they, the Department of Education, had made the decision that morning to permanently move Bianca, who was the 1st-3rd grade teacher to another school in the district where the classes were larger.  That move would mean that Prof. Mario would be responsible for teaching 1st-6th grade by himself and that the parents would need to help even more with their children and also with volunteering at the school.  It was obvious from the looks on the parents’ faces, that news was not well-received and I think all of us have doubts as to how well that’s going to work.  

After Juan’s speech, Pastor Marcos prayed…and oh my goodness, can that man pray!  I think volume is a very important factor here for prayers and if that were to be a factor to them being heard, then I would have no doubt that he was heard quite clearly in the heavens this morning!  I was a little concerned about the direction his prayer seemed to take as it tended to lean more along the lines of a “name it and claim it” kind of prayer which is very common here.  I can’t help but wonder what people must think about God…or themselves…when they’ve “named it” and yet there’s nothing that has come their way to claim.  But that’s a subject for another post.

After Pastor Marcos, Professor Mario spoke once again.  He spoke about how there have been so many changes in their community in the last year and then he began to tell about all the various meetings we have had since we first contacted him to discuss the possibility of trying to help the students there.  The story that he shared that he said touched him the most was the one of the children at FBC, Cassville, having a garage sale in order to raise money to help the children there have backpacks and uniforms.  It was clear that it touched the parents, also…and…it still touches us. 

Sam and Professor Mario
He told them that no other school in the area had ever had been as blessed as the Cristóbal Colón school was being blessed.  And then he began to tell them about the team that is coming the first week of March and what a privilege it is for the school to have a group come to do an English Camp there.  He told the parents that it was very important that they not only show their support for what this group wants to do but to show their support of their children by making sure they attend.  He said, quite proudly, that this was also a first for the area and that it was a very special thing to be the school that was chosen for this.  We’re pretty proud of our church for offering to do this for these kids, as well!    

Jim spoke after Professor Mario and briefly told of how we came to Somoto, how we had prayed that God would show us a school where we might be able to help and how He answered that prayer by bringing us to El Melonar.  He explained that the gifts that we brought were not gifts from us but were gifts from the Lord provided through the giving of others.  He told them that there were people all across the United States who were praying for this little community and this school…that seemed to resonate with many of the parents there.  Their expressions changed just a little and I could see them begin to soften even more.  

Then it was my turn.  I tried to encourage the parents by reminding them of what an important job they had by ensuring that their children come to school every day.  I told them that those children were the future of their country and that we wanted to make sure the children had the opportunity to go to school this year because their education is so important.  I then told the children that we did our part in delivering the supplies and now they need to do their part by studying hard and staying in school.  I told them they need to have dreams, big dreams.  I told them that I never thought I would be living in Somoto, Nicaragua but that is where God has brought us and so I know that with God, nothing is impossible.

And then we handed out the backpacks and uniform packets.  That’s when the children came alive.  They all seemed so excited when their name was called and they got to come forward to get their bags.  Jim took pictures while I handed out the backpacks and Sam handled the uniform packets.  I think I had the best job because almost every single child gave me a handshake, a hug, a kiss or a combination of two or more of those!  They made my heart sing…and my eyes a bit teary more than once!
This is Harold...so anxious to get his things!

Look at the joy on that face!

This is Omar...a young man who is very serious about school

Looking at her Jesus tract

As if my heart wasn't already melting!

Katia is a student who wants to be in school and wants to learn




I don’t even know how to describe what it did to me this morning (and now, just thinking about it) to see how those children’s eyes would light up when it was their turn to come up front to get their things.  All but the very smallest said “thank you” without any prompting and many of the parents did, as well.  Two of the girls threw their arms around my neck…one was a pre-schooler and the other one was a sixth-grader.  The first one was so sweet…the second one was humbling.  To know that school supplies meant that much a young girl is more than even I can fathom…I didn’t grow up thinking that going to school was a privilege…it was something I had to do.  I have gained so much respect for what that opportunity really means.  

After we finished with the distribution for the children’s things, we then gave the teachers their supplies.  I never thought I would have to explain what a pipe cleaner was but Prof. Mario had no idea what they were or how they could be used.  One of the moms immediately took 2 out of the package and told him that you could make ears for an animal with them.  He smiled politely and thanked us.  I still don’t think he has much vision for what he can do with those fun little bendy things!  

After most of the parents left, one of the moms brought us wedges of watermelon.  Nice, juicy, sweet warm watermelon!  No plates, no forks and probably cut with a not-so-clean knife!  I don’t even remember the last time I ate watermelon like that…with the juice running down my chin and all over my hands.  We stood outside, laughed, talked and spit seeds…and as I looked off in to the distance, watching the clouds go over the mountains, I thought to myself what a wonderful gift it was to be part of this whole thing and just how very good our God is!


Once again, I wish I could find the words that would adequately express the gratitude that Jim and I have for all of you who have given to support this project.  So many people have given so generously to make this happen...your time, your prayers and your finances; our Pennsylvania friends who collected donated uniforms and sent them down to us; children who did chores, gave up treats, sold their own belongings, who gave up their allowances in order to make sure other children had notebooks, pens and pencils.  It’s all just so remarkable…such a work of God!   Thank you.  Two simple words just can’t convey what we feel.  

For those of you who have asked, here’s a list of what the children received.  Each child received a backpack with anywhere from 2-7 notebooks, depending on their grade requirements; a math notebook for the older children; an art pad; 3 pencils, 1 pencil sharpener, 1 pen, 2 erasers, glue, colored pencil set, modeling clay, white-out, scissors, ruler, geometry set, water colors, calculator, folder and necessary maps.  There was some variance between the youngest grades and the older grades.  The uniform packet contained 2 complete uniforms (2 shirts and 2 skirts or 2 pants), socks and a good pair of shoes.  

The teachers received 2 whiteboards, 2 clocks, trashcans, 1 large plastic trash barrel, 2 more dictionaries, whiteboard markers, whiteboard  erasers and cleaner, large packages of construction paper, ream of white paper, foamies, crepe paper, large bottles of glue, paints, extra pens, pipe cleaners, material, calendars, a nice mechanical pencil with refills, and each teacher received an agenda with Bible verses (in Spanish) on each day’s pages.  I think that’s everything…for now.  Just two more words...thank you!    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posting. Praying for you guys, the teachers, students and parents. Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

my weblog ... http://onurbridals.com/