CLICK ON ANY PICTURE IN THE BLOGS TO GET A LARGER VIEW

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Leaning on the everlasting arms...

It's Thursday night, 9:45 and we still don't have our back door secured. The "charm" of the Nicaraguan's sense of urgency (or to be more exact, lack of) in matters such as this is starting to wear thin. Jim has changed out the regular style padlocks with some that are supposed to be more resistant to picking and are designed so that bolt cutters can't be put around them...notice I said, "supposed to be..." I don't think there is anything that is as exactly as marketed.

Jim has also installed some door alarms on each door. Hopefully, if someone should attempt to get the door open from the outside, they will be frightened off by the obnoxiously noisy alarm. Hopefully. And our final attempt at making that side of the house feel more secure was the motion detection light we had put in last Tuesday. Sounds good, doesn't it? But in reality, it almost adds to the the stress level when the light goes on at night...do we look? Do we pretend like we didn't see it? What set it off? Or rather, on? Was it 4 legged or 2 legged? We like the theory that the light's sensor is so sensitive that the bats flitting around trigger it and on it goes. Regardless the cause, it's a bit of an oxymoron that the very thing that is supposed to help us feel better tends to increase the pumping of our blood and quicken our breaths.

Our landlord told us Sunday afternoon, the day we were robbed, that he would have a man come out the next morning to fix the door. We've still not seen him. The story is that there's an older woman who lives in his house...none of us have figured out the relationship between the two, just assuming that somehow, she's related. Anyway, this elderly lady is dying of cancer and the "carpintero" can't come work on our house until he finishes building her a tomb. I think maybe he means a coffin. And, we have had rainy days each day for almost a week so he can't work on her tomb right now. I'm not sure I know why he can't go ahead and work inside our house if it's too wet to work on her tomb. I'm sure there's a rational answer somehow, I just don't know what it is!

We have a man coming Friday morning (someone Susanna found) to go ahead and repair the door. Thankfully, our landlord agreed to let us do so when Susanna mentioned that if we were living anywhere else, we would have moved out when the door wasn't first repaired. Susanna told us that relationships are so important that it is difficult to find the balance between getting things done and offending. She said that our landlord had already paid the other man and that as a man of honor, he felt he should wait for him to show up. My comment was that I would have more respect for the Man of Honor thing if I saw more men of honor. That's when I think they all realized this agitated gringa was about to become a bit more agitated and Susanna convinced our landlord we could not nor would not wait any longer. At this point, I don't care who fixes the door, I just want to be able to lock it securely.

We are also in the process of securing a day guard to work afternoons and Sundays for us as those are the times we tend to be gone most often. We are trying to close in the circle of vulnerability as much as possible. This is a new way of life in more respects than I had previously imagined. Can't say it's one of my more favorite aspects of life in Nicaragua.

In reading this over, I realize how tired I am. It's a struggle to write this tonight but I wanted to take advantage of the time we have for the use of Susanna's laptop. Maybe I'll be so tired tonight, I'll fall right to sleep and rest in the peace that God has offered to us. It's hard to let go of the fear long enough to grab hold of the Peace...We don't want to jump at every sound and dwell on the fact we had our home and our peace of mind invaded but neither do we want to become complacent or foolish. We are entering tricky territory here. Everyone tells us it will take time to once again feel comfortable and safe. I'm not known for my patience. It's Thursday night...and the back door still isn't secure. I keep reminding myself, we are.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessèd peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning,
Safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no peace in this
world...but how I cling to the promise of a better world to come. We all just
need to be diligent in telling the world about our
Savior. Wanda